Our Mother's Day Weekend started Friday afternoon when I left work early to take MK to the doctor. My sister was babysitting that day and reported that McKinley was refusing to sleep, crying uncontrollably, and had a fever. My baby is a little bit on the fussy side (#sass), but she never cries uncontrollably, so I rushed home to get things ready for our doctor's appointment.
She had a fever on the higher side at home, but barely had one at the pediatrician's office, thanks to Tylenol, and bloodwork showed that everything was normal. (Side Note: I've since taken her to the doctor once more [3 times total] for an unexplained high fever and she's always tested totally normal for bloodwork and negative for ear infections and UTIs. We're basically chalking it up to a combo of her natural body temperature running on the high side and teething. And I've pretty much been told to stop taking her temperature unless she actually seems sick and not to worry. First Time Mom Problems.) She took a good, long nap after visiting the doctor and since her fever had broken, Brad instructed me that I still needed to go out and have a girls' night with my teacher friends as we were having a get together for three of my teammates turning 40 that night. She did great for Brad that night, other than having one fussy spell, and he had her back asleep by the time I got home at 11 PM.
Saturday morning we woke up happy and smiling! We just knew that you were turning the corner and we would have a great weekend. We had dinner with Granny and GG, Aunt Allison, Uncle Trae, and Hudson on Saturday night and you did really well!
Then, things kind of went downhill from there.
We started our Mother's Day at 4:00 AM on Sunday when MK woke up feeling sick and refusing to sleep. Brad actually put her in the car and drove her around that morning so that she would sleep and this Mama could finally catch a nap. He also brought back breakfast and coffee which I desperately needed.
After we both took good naps we had recovered enough to make visits to the park and to Target (honestly, two of my favorite Mama places to go).
Post walk snuggles.
I'm not sure if the heat brought back out the sickness in McKinley or what, but we ended our Mother's Day evening with lots of projectile vomiting. She even managed to throw up on the walls in our hallway that are still painted with flat builder's grade paint. So, any suggestions on how to get baby puke stains off the walls are greatly appreciated.
After I finally got McKinley to sleep, which was another ordeal in itself that night, Brad cooked a delicious steak dinner. He also presented me with my Mother's Day present, a garnet and diamond necklace since garnets are McKinley's birthstone.
I never imagined that I would spend my first Mother's Day waking up at 4 AM, helping McKinley fight a tummy bug, and cleaning puke off walls, but I could not be more grateful for the opportunity to be this little girl's mommy. I would gladly take wiping butts over sleeping in since that means I am mama to the best little lady around.
Ok, maybe that last part was a stretch, but I still love her more than words. ;)
No comments :
Post a Comment