Friday, July 29, 2016

How We Found Out

By now, you may have seen that Brad and I are expecting our first baby! We are so blessed and excited to be first time parents. I really wanted to document the experience of finding out about our little peanut so that I can relieve one of the best moments of my life whenever I want!

At the end of January, my birth control prescription ran out and Brad and I decided we would just go without the pill as we knew we would hopefully be able to start trying for a baby in a few months. After being cleared by my neurosurgeon to start a family, I scheduled an appointment with my OB/GYN at the beginning of March and discussed all the important details for preparing myself for pregnancy. I started taking lots of folic acid (WAY more than the normal amount) and basically gave up all my vices (i.e. margaritas, coffee, and Diet Coke). Because I am currently in school to get my Master's degree (I graduate in December!!), we decided to continue waiting a few months so that my expected due date would be post graduation.

We decided to officially start trying at the beginning of May. A couple weeks later, I was due to get my period and also due for an MRI to check on the status of my Chiari Malformation. Two days before the MRI, I called my mom, who knew we were trying to get pregnant, and asked her if she thought I should take a pregnancy test. She was planning to accompany me to the MRI and neurosurgeon's office since Brad had to work. Because MRIs are so dangerous to your baby during the first trimester of pregnancy, I decided to take a pregnancy test. I really thought I would be wasting the test since this was our first time trying.

I got the surprise of my life when the blue plus appeared almost immediately. I was even more shocked when the double pink lines appeared on the second test I took. Needless to say, I canceled my MRI. I was kind of disappointed because I had to let my mom know over the phone that I wouldn't be needing her to go with me to the doctor. I then swore her to secrecy for the next few weeks. This absolutely wouldn't have been the way I would have chosen to tell her, but it's been fun to get to share this experience with my mom from the beginning.

After talking to my mom, I quickly put together a little present for Brad. Because I had taken the test at home, I didn't want to try to run out before Brad got home from work and pick up anything else. So I used what I had on hand, a Coke bottle saying "Share a Coke with Daddy" and a little onesie I had picked up when we first decided to start trying for a baby.


To say Brad was shocked is the understatement of the century. We are so excited to turn the empty bedroom in our house into our baby's nursery!


 Jules helped me hang out in the "nursery" to surprise her daddy. Also, my camera malfunctioned when Brad actually walked into the room and I got no real pictures of the moment I told him about the baby. I tried to make him reenact (see below), but he couldn't stop laughing. He isn't very good at pretending so we will just have to keep those memories in our head. 


No comments :

Post a Comment