I have one main problem with Valentine's Day and that's the fact that it occurs only once a year. It absolutely boggles my mind that people in relationships expect their partners to go out of their way to show their love for someone. Especially girls. We are terrible with our expectations. We want flowers, chocolates, jewelry, the works. And for what? It surely can't be because those gifts make us feel loved and without them our relationships are meaningless. I know it's fun to receive those gifts and I'm certainly not complaining if Brad buys me a giant box of chocolate. But I think Valentine's Day is more for comparing ourselves to others than for really showing someone you love them. I mean who didn't enjoy getting the biggest teddy bear of all the girls from their freshman boyfriends way back in high school. The point is I've always tried to make it known to Brad since we got together almost 6 years ago (WHAT?) that I don't care about all the little things on Valentine's Day. It means a lot more to me when he surprises me with chocolates when I'm feeling sick or having a bad day than it does when he surprises me on February 14th.
I'm not saying we don't ever do things for each other on Valentine's Day. My main point is, if you are in a relationship please don't think that love is gifts on some silly Hallmark holiday. They are just a small plus. Love is constant pursuit. I want Brad to always feel like I'm going out of my way to make sure he feels loved. Because he does the same for me. When I stop pursuing him, when we stop pursing each other, that is when our relationship fails, and I don't ever want to feel like Valentine's Day is our fallback day to remind each other we are in love.
And if you're single, don't let anyone make you feel like you are less because you are alone on Valentine's Day. In the grand scheme of things, this day is completely insignificant and you are not. In fact, the best part of today is that it is the day before February 15th. Which of course is the day that all candy will be at least half off.
Because when you pursue each other daily, you get real, lasting love. Not just the commercial stuff. And that is pretty special.

Love love love this! My feelings exactly!
ReplyDelete