Thursday, September 29, 2016

Her Name

I really should get back to those bumpdates. I don't know how I thought I would be able to keep up with doing them weekly! Oops... So, I'll be adding one of those at some point soon, but I'm most excited to announce that our little girl has a name!

Brad and I have had a boy's named picked for years. Brad actually picked the name before we ever started dating and I've always liked it as well. But, when we found out we were being blessed with a little girl, we were not ready to name her at all. 

The name I had always thought I wanted no longer appealed to us. I suggested several girl names to Brad before we found out she was a she and he picked his favorite two. Then, once we knew for sure she was a girl, I kept waiting for Brad to suggest several names of his own, but he never wanted to. We were stuck somewhere between the two names for months.

For one name, we loved that it was a classic, beautiful name that would be timeless for our little girl. But, we didn't love that the name is so popular at the moment. We never wanted her to have to go by a nickname or be one of several in her class. For the other name, it's not popular at all. It's actually not a very common name, although I do know a few other girls by the same name. We loved that this name was different, but were worried that it would be too different.

Eventually, we decided to take turns calling the baby by both names to see which one appealed to us more. This went on for several weeks, but neither of us would admit which we liked more. We were both standing in the kitchen one night getting dinner ready and talking about how our daughter still didn't have a name.

I suggested that we count to three and finally say our favorite of the two names. So we did... and to my surprise, we both had the same favorite name and had for weeks. Just like that, our little girl finally had a first name!

Coming up with a middle name for our daughter was super easy.
I always thought that because my grandmother was younger, she'd be around to meet all my children. Instead, last summer, my grandmother passed away from colon cancer. She was only 67. After the death of my grandmother, I quickly decided that if I ever had a daughter, she and my grandmother would share a middle name. So, even though our daughter won't get to meet her great grandmother, she'll always get to share a piece of herself with one of the best women I've ever known.

Her name feels perfect to us and I can't wait to meet the little girl we've been calling by this name. So, without further delay, we cannot wait to welcome our wonderful, little....

in January!

1 comment :

  1. I absolutely love that name and am so excited for you guys! When we found out we were having a girl we had a boys name picked out but had no idea what to do for a girls name. It took us a while too but I think that made it even more exciting and special once we decided together!

    ReplyDelete