Monday, November 25, 2013

Every Year of Your Twenties

I admit, I'm kind of a sucker for Buzzfeed. I read all those stupid lists, rankings, and articles like they're going out of style. Some are funny, some are interesting, and some are just downright spot on, 100% true.

I know I'm only 23 and have only experienced 3 1/2 years of being in my twenties so far (20, 21, 22, and half of 23), but I couldn't agree more with this list. And to be quite honest I can totally see myself agreeing with the rest of it one day too. I guess I'll have to let you know when I hit 30 (Bring it, July 11, 2020 - I ain't scared. Just kidding, I'm already terrified.). If you haven't seen this Buzzfeed list, Every Year of Your Twenties, Ranked Worst to First, you've got to check it out.

Here are my rankings of all my twenties, which actually coincide with where they would fall on the Buzzfeed list as well. Coincidence? Nope, this list is a fact.
 
My Twenties, From Worst to First: 

4.

23
 
 
Besides getting to plan my wedding to my wonderful fiance, this year has been terrible. I have no real job. I barely scrap by on my meager salary and if it weren't for my fabulous fiance's generosity and love I'd be on the streets somewhere (or worse living back at home with my parents). I chose to give up teaching to move to another city where I had no friends except for Brad, I lived all summer without health care, and to make matters worse, this is the ugliest I've been, ever (except for my awkward pubescent years). My metabolism finally slowed down. I get hangovers for the first time in my life and I go to bed at probably 9 or 10 every night. My college friends just don't understand. I'm expected to have my life together, I've been out of college for almost two years now, and I don't. At least not career wise. Luckily, I've already found the love of my life. Otherwise I'd be faced with a rough dating scene and I'd probably need antidepressants to get through the day (no offense meant here, to anyone). It's true, "nobody likes you when you're 23." Is it my birthday yet?
 

3.

20
 
Twenty is a weird age. You're finally not a teenager anymore, but no one really thinks you're an adult yet either. For me, this year meant moving out my parents' house and getting my first apartment. My roommates turned out to be awful so it also meant moving back home. I was a junior in college - school actually turned serious and I had to pick student teachings over spring breaks. On the plus side, I have never been better looking. I did my fair share of partying, but let's be honest. It wasn't as good as being 21...
 

2.

21
 
 
I did love being 21. It's like you turn 21 and people automatically start treating you like an adult. If you live in America we all know it's the birthday you've been waiting for ever since you first heard about alcohol. You think it's going to be great - and it is. Until you realize it's basically just everything you were doing before, only you can't go to jail now. Drinking isn't as much fun as you thought it would be. At least it wasn't for me. But maybe that's because I'm not a huge drinker. Twenty-one was also my senior year of college and I spent most of it student teaching. It was a lot like being in the real world. I graduated college at 21 and to date that's probably my biggest personal accomplishment.
 

1.

22
 
Last year was the best year of my life. Not for the reasons that Buzzfeed says, but it was still amazing. I got my first, and only so far, real job. I became a teacher, something I had wanted my whole life (and still do). I saved up A LOT of money. This has helped me to actually be able to pay for my wedding without running up credit cards or taking out loans. Brad and I finally got engaged. I feel like I discovered the person I wanted to be and although I didn't do too much changing, I finally figured out what was important to me. I learned to be happy even when in a situation I really hate (like living alone in NC with no friends). That has helped me so much during this year (23) of my life. Because I can truthfully say that I'm happy, even though everything in my life isn't 100% perfect.

I know I can't be the only one that whole-heartedly agrees with this list. At least the parts of it that directly apply to me. Let me know whatcha think.

4 comments :

  1. So much truth behind your post today. I didn't feel like I was a real adult until this year [23] - finally a teacher that knows what the heck I'm doing in the classroom, planning my wedding, bought my first car. It's been a world of difference from age 20. Totally relatable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I think that's why I'm hating 23 so much. Since I feel like I should be doing all those same things this year too. Oh well, I guess it's my fault since I decided to move and quit teaching for a little bit. Oops :)

      Delete
  2. I definitely agree with this list! I think no matter what, your twenties are such a weird time. You feel like you're supposed to have your life together and be exactly where you want to be but it doesn't happen like that! So glad there's so many of us ladies around here to support each other and remind one another that we aren't all crazy and all deal with the same struggles!

    ReplyDelete