Friday, May 16, 2014

Five on Friday

Happy Friday! Today I'm linking up with all the usual ladies to let you in on what I'm loving this week. And read all about yours, assuming you link up too!

I haven't linked up in a while, or really blogged in a while, so today, I sharing all my favorite, exciting things that have been going on over the last few weeks, not just this week. Let's call it Five on Friday: Catch Up Addition, if you will. So, without further ado...

1.
GACE Reading

If you're an educator in Georgia, then you know that we take the GACE as opposed to the Praxis, which most other states take in order to become a certified teacher. Personally, based on what I've read and heard from other states, the GACE is harder. It's twice as long, which I guess explains why the passing score is slightly lower than that of the Praxis (although apparently that's changing?). It really doesn't matter, the tests are actually pretty comparable. Anyway, I took and passed the GACE Early Childhood Exams like two years ago, which lead to my initial license and my ability to teach Pre-K through 5th Grade. Since moving back to GA and starting the job search, I decided to add another field to my license so that I would be more marketable (unfortunately, I get paid no more money for this). So, about a month ago, I took the GACE Reading tests to make myself able to teach Reading in grades K-12 (like I would ever teach anything other than elementary school) and I passed! And not just passed but blew this test out of the water. Which is pretty awesome considering it was one of the hardest tests I've ever taken. Yay, me!


2.
1st Grade

Then I was offered a job teaching 1st Grade! This will be a change considering I've only ever taught Kindergarten but I absolutely cannot wait to take on this challenge. When I was hired for my last job, I wasn't hired until the summer, so I didn't get to meet anyone on my team until school started the next fall. This year, with being hired so early, I get to attend "Step Up Day" and meet the kindergarteners who could potentially be in my class next year. I'm also making plans to meet up with all the other 1st Grade teachers this summer to make plans for next year. It's so nice getting to meet these ladies before hand and start building a relationship with them before starting the school year. You can bet I've been pinning away to my heart's desire and to my new First Grade board.

3.
Bridesmaids

One of my best friends and bridesmaids in getting married next June. She has actually been engaged almost as long as I've known her. We meet in the Fall of 2009 and she became engaged in the Spring of 2011 before one of our sorority formals. I'm so excited that she is finally started to plan for her upcoming wedding and it has been so fun to talk about our weddings together. Plus, she recently asked me to be one of her bridesmaids! Believe it or not, I've never been a bridesmaid before, so I am thrilled to be a part of her special day.

Can't believe it's been over 3 years since Katie and Blake got engaged!

Now I can't wait to stand by her side on her wedding day.

4.
Mother's Day

I am not a mother, nor do I have any plans to become one any time soon. Brad and I will not be the couple that is pregnant immediately after our wedding. In all honesty, that is my worst nightmare. But I do have one heck of a momma myself and whenever the time comes I hope to be half the mother that she is. She is my best friend (although she has always made it a point to be a mom first), my confidant, and my biggest fan. I'm so glad that I got to spend Mother's Day with her this year.

My mommy is not quite as young as she looks.
Whenever we meet anyone new, she always makes it a point to slip into the conversation that she and my dad had been married for 3 years when I was born. Apparently this is a big concern for her :)

Brad also spoiled me with a little Mother's Day present from our cat, Jules.
Officially making me a crazy cat lady.

5.
New Year's Resolution

This is the farthest I've ever made it in a New Year's Resolution, as sad as that is. My resolution is to run one 5K (or longer) race per month and so far I've ran all 5. I'm currently making plans to run my 6th race in June and can't wait to recap all my races once I finally get halfway through my resolution.

Post race.
I honestly don't think I could look any cuter, said no one ever.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Don't forget to link up your Friday Five too.

5 comments :

  1. What a sweet way to be asked to be a bridesmaid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a creative way to ask someone to be a bridesmaid! And it's so much fun being in a wedding party- one of my best friends is getting married in August, and I can't wait to stand up there with her! :)

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea, also my fiance got me a card and gift from our dog. It was the cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute! I'm so glad to hear we aren't the only crazy pet people out there :)

      Delete
  4. So awesome that you are keeping on running your 5ks! And congrats on getting offered a teaching position!

    ReplyDelete