Wednesday, May 7, 2014

things fall apart.

I have BIG news.

You may have noticed in a few posts, though I can't remember which ones, that I mentioned we had bought a house. In actuality, we had bought a lot and were in the process of building a house. We signed our contract the first weekend in February and then not so patiently waited for our builder to start clearing our lot and building our first home. This process was supposed to take 30 days. And then 60 days. And then around the 80 day mark, almost at the end of April, for a home we were supposed to close on in June, they finally began clearing our lot.

We had met with the on-site agent in our future subdivision and the builder and determined which would be the perfect level lot, for the slab home we were planning to build (meaning without a basement). They began clearing our lot on a Friday. Then on the next Monday, which happened to be Brad's birthday, things fell apart.

We were informed that the lot we had meticulously researched and put money on, was actually a basement lot and unless we were willing to shell out $40,000 more for a basement, they would be unable to build our house. So, we did the responsible thing, and moved on. We weren't willing to give them that much more money and after the difficulties and run around we faced with the builder and subdivision, we didn't trust them to build our house anymore. So we're getting our money back and starting the search over. I don't know if we'll end up in another apartment or finally find a house, but I do know I'm ready to get out of this hotel.

I really felt like things were ending when our life plan seemingly fell apart a few weeks ago. I spent a few days crying over it and worrying over it. And then I decided to move along and start praying about it. The day our builder finally started clearing for our would be house, I interviewed for a teaching job. This was my second interview since moving to Georgia. I never heard back from the first interview, but wasn't too upset since it was for a job I didn't want. My second interview was for a part-time kindergarten teacher at a school amazingly close to Brad's job and to where we want to live. I didn't want to be a part-time teacher, but had accepted that I may need to take a job I wasn't fond of in order to get my foot in the door. At the interview I learned that they may have a job opening for a full-time 1st Grade teacher as well. My interview went spectacularly and I set about praying for God to give me the job that he wanted me to have and the strength to move along if neither job were for me.

Amazingly, I don't feel upset about losing our house anymore. Even more spectacularly, I was offered a teaching job last week. This girl is going to be a teacher again! And a full-time 1st Grade teacher at that. I can't honestly think of a more perfect location for my job. Everyone has been so incredibly kind at this school and made me feel so welcome. Perfect news to start off Teacher Appreciation Week!

I don't necessarily believe that we lost our house so that I could get this job. But it is a happy coincidence. You know, the whole when one door closes, another one opens. Or when God shuts a door, he opens a window. Or my current personal favorite:


3 comments :

  1. very inspiring! and I love the quote at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is such great news! So true that sometimes things aren't supposed to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your house plans falling apart. I can't even imagine how frustrating that would be! But congrats on the job! I truly believe everything happens for a reason :)

    ReplyDelete