Thursday, June 19, 2014

My 9 to 5 : #TotalSocial

Venus Trapped in Mars

When I saw this link up, I knew that I couldn't pass up the chance to go on and on about my job. Besides the fact that I absolutely love my job, I am beyond excited to officially be doing it again. When I'm not blogging (which is most of the time lately), my real life job is being an elementary school teacher. I previously taught kindergarten, but took the last year off due to moving all around the Southeast for my fiance's job. I have recently been hired as a 1st Grade teacher, and am so excited to start my teaching career back up.

You're probably thinking, but you're not even working right now! Alas, yes I am. 3 weeks of my 8 week summer vacation are being used for various professional developments and pre-planning. When I'm not sitting in a classroom all day, as the student, I'm planning, printing, laminating, and preparing to my heart's desire. AND I'm not even being paid this summer, so there. Teachers don't have it so easy.

During the actual school year, my hours are technically 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM, but I would say I work from at least 7 AM until 4 PM at the actual school building, plus up to two hours a night at home. That would actually mean my work day lasts around 11 hours and I probably spend at least 5 hours, probably more, during the weekends planning and grading.

I've had other jobs, and teaching is by far the hardest of any of them. It's also the most rewarding. I could go on and on about how much I love teaching but hopefully you've never met a teacher who hates it, so I'm sure you already know. There is no better feeling in the world than the feeling you get when you watch a child who has struggled suddenly grasp a concept. It might only be rivaled by the unconditional love these little people shower upon you. I hope to be just like them when I grow up.

 Teaching adjectives and adjective phrases.
I swear I didn't force them to write "best teacher ever" or "pretty". :)




3 comments :

  1. I'm also a teacher, so the summer 9-5 was a fun challenge to interpret :) I wish people knew how much teachers work. A 50-60 hour work week during the year deserves a real holiday in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a total flash-bulb memory of doing this when I was in elementary school!! I brought in 100 pens :) Have you told your kids that you're engaged yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you love your job! So many of the 9 to 5 posts (mine included) were about "meh" jobs. Or jobs that are good, but uninspiring. We could all use a little more enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete