Recently I found out that there's actually a lot to celebrate during the month of June. Like the fact that it's Adopt-A-Cat Month for one. You didn't realize that started today? Don't feel bad, neither did I. But I'm glad I found out, because adopting a cat (or any pet really) is a cause that's pretty dear to my heart.
Growing up I only had dogs as pets. These dogs either came from a pet store or a breeder that in all honesty was probably a puppy mill. I had never adopted anything and didn't really feel the need to. I had gotten perfect animals from those situations, so the thought of rescuing a pet never occurred to me.
It certainly never occurred to me to rescue a cat. I hate cats. They shed too much, you have to clean a litter box, and they're never friendly. Cats do not love on you like dogs, there's no such thing as a lap cat, and they'll pretty much hiss at anything. Plus cats don't ever want to play.
When Brad first moved to North Carolina and was going to be living alone, he started tossing around the idea of getting a pet to keep him company. I, of course, lobbied for a dog. Brad however, had never owned a dog (he grew up with cats) and didn't want to take on first time dog ownership living in an apartment. So, much to my dismay,
While looking at an apartment complex, this mangy little cat wandered out of the office. The office staff mentioned that this little kitten had turned up at their office during a storm and they were looking for someone to give her a good home. She ran right up to Brad and purred nonstop. I refused to touch her, because I didn't want a cat and she was a rescue so obviously she was diseased, right? He however, was sold.
Brad took her in and got her to the vet. Aside from a vicious case of fleas we had to have cleared up she was deemed to be 100% healthy. She secretly lived in Brad's hotel room for about a week until he moved in his apartment. When I went up to visit a few weeks later, I had the misfortune of falling in love with this tiny kitty. Against all odds (insert Phil Collins song here), this tiny kitten and I have become best of friends. Something that makes Brad incredibly jealous since he was the one to officially rescue her. Since Brad and I have started living together, I don't think there's been a night in the last two years where I have slept without Jules curled up in my arms.
She greets me every day when I come home from work, gives me kisses, cuddles in my lap, follows me around like a puppy, only hisses at dogs (we're working on that), and is pretty good at playing, despite the fact that she only does so from a laying down position. Not to mention is super friendly. I still hate cleaning a litter box, but I no longer hate cats.
So, take it from me. Cats have clearly gotten a bad rap, but my little rescue kitty has worked to convince me otherwise and motivated me to rescue other kittens. If you're considering getting a pet, I highly recommend rescuing or adopting instead of buying. And if you really insist on remaining a dog person (which I am still too), National Adopt a Dog month is coming at ya this October.
Maybe these pictures will change your mind though?
And yes, I am a crazy cat lady.


So sweet! I've grown up with dogs all my life, and never had a cat either. My husband and I have a dog, but he (his family) had a cat when we first started dating and I really liked her!
ReplyDelete