I vowed to run 12 races in 12 months. Each race had to be at least a 5K. I got a bit of a late start (began in February), because I used January for training, but I've officially ran 6 5Ks so far this year. I'm planning to continue running and Brad has begun running with me, which is awesome because it keeps me motivated. As does paying for these races and then running them with my friend and resolution partner, Kayla.
February
Get Your Rear in Gear 5K
2/15/2014
Time: 38:42
Run/Walk
March
Cupcake Road Race 5K
3/1/2014
Time: 33:11
Run
April (2)
Hickory Flat Thunder Run 5K
4/12/2014
Time: 33:38
Run
Barber Band on the Run 5K
4/26/2014
Time: 30:59
Run
May
Swift-Cantrell Classic 5K
5/10/2014
Time: 32:40
Run
June
Midnight Pajama Jog 5K
6/7/2014
Time: 45:34
Run/Walk
There, proof that I actually run as much as I say I do. My times typically improve with each run as does my endurance. I'm not the fastest runner by any means, I still haven't broken less than 30 minutes. But, I keep trying and I think that's the most important part. My time really only fluctuates when I'm running up hills, if it's a race with lots of hills I'm definitely going to be slower than if it doesn't. I still don't have the endurance for that yet :/ I'll be honest, I haven't lost a ton of weight running. But I do feel like my body is changing. If I had to guess, I'd be willing to say I've lost inches over pounds.
My biggest running tip, if you're preparing for a 5K, is TRAIN! You want to give yourself plenty of time to train for the run before you actually run it. Ideally, you should train to run farther than the actual race (3.1 miles in this case), that way you're confident that you can complete the whole race. I also think it's helpful to invest in some work out clothes. There's nothing worse than running a race, especially in the middle of the summer, in a cotton t-shirt that soaks up all your sweat. Which is why you'll never catch me running in the cute t-shirts they give out in your pre-race packet. And HYDRATE! It's super important to drink lots of water, especially the day before your race, so that you don't get cramps.
Here's hoping I finally break that 30 minute mark at my next 5K!
You are doing awesome! I ran one 5k last year, and one this May...one more coming up in August. I definitely want to do more 5ks and improve my time...and maybe eventually train for a 10k.
ReplyDelete