Thursday, October 30, 2014

Reblogged: Real Love Is a Choice

When I get home every afternoon, I normally have a snack, watch a little tv, and/or peruse the internet for about an hour (I sound like I'm in elementary school, not like I teach it) before starting to clean and cook dinner.

Normally I never find anything note worthy. Yesterday though, I found this article written by a guy named Seth Adam Smith. I've never heard of him before nor do I have any idea what he does, but he's written an awesome article that you have to read.

It says absolutely everything that I feel. I don't feel like you can choose who you're attracted to, I can't help that the only people I've ever been attracted to have dark hair and eyes. But I do think that I chose and continually choose to love a certain dark haired man whom I am fortunate enough to call my husband. Maybe I didn't choose to fall in love with him, but I definitely think that I'm choosing to stay in love with him.

We have only been married about a month and a half and are fortunate enough not to have ran into any "trials" at this point in our marriage. However, having dated for six and a half years before our wedding, there were absolutely times when I was so incredibly angry at Brad and it would have been so easy to choose not to be together anymore.

I don't believe in soul mates. The person you chose to marry is The One. I think real love takes work. Hard work and commitment.

When we met with our minister for marriage counseling, he told us how important it was to never treat divorce as an option. How it wasn't a word that should be thrown around during an argument or casually because if you treat divorce like it isn't an option, it won't be. Marriage and any real relationship is a choice. Working at our relationship isn't always fun but it makes our life together so much more meaningful. I will always choose the idea that we are together because we choose to be over the idea that we are together because we have to be, which to me is the whole idea behind soul mates.

If you haven't already, read the article. He's a much better writer than me.

1 comment :

  1. I really love this. It is so true, that to make a marriage work, you have to choose to put in the time, love, and effort. Love the article!

    ReplyDelete