Thursday, September 5, 2013

Blogtember: Day 3

Today's topic: "Pass on some useful advice or information you've learned and always remembered."
 
I have to say, at 23 years old I don't know that I'm the best person to be offering advice. I mean I haven't experienced a whole awful lot just yet. However, I have gotten a ton of wonderful advice from those that have and I'll pass it along to you.
 
If you want something, you have to work for it. The things that you want and even the things that you need will not fall into your lap. This is basically what I heard every time I complained about something to my parents in high school/college. From small things like "Oh, you want that really expensive pair of jeans? Better save your money." or big things like "They don't give out teaching degrees to just anybody. You have to earn them." Now, I'm not saying that my parents didn't provide for me, or buy me clothes when I wanted them, or even listen to me complain from time to time and indulge me and let me feel better. But there always came a time when I got that little piece of advice, most times I probably didn't want to hear it. It's really served me well though, I'm definitely a hard worker now because of it. I've had a job since I was 15 years old (not the same one obviously) and I honestly get bored if I'm not working or busy and that drive has provide me with a pretty great life.
 
If that isn't enough for you, here's a few more of my favorites:
 
My favorite Bible verse. To me it's always meant that it doesn't matter how everyone else feels about you as long as God is for you and how you're living. I think that's a pretty powerful verse, especially in this time period when we tend to live more for ourselves, and give into things we shouldn't instead of living for God. I've always found comfort in this because I tend to choose what's right for me instead of what's popular for others.
 
This first time I heard this saying was on a Lifetime movie. Imagine that, I learned something from Lifetime. This is such great advice, but so hard for me to follow. I'm such a worrier. If only I could keep myself from worrying about things unless I actually have too.
 
 
I threw this one in just for fun. I first heard this from my grandma! How awful is that, she was kidding of course, but this is actually a saying from the late 1840s. It means that you shouldn't marry for money, but it's just as easy to fall in love with someone who is rich as someone who is poor. I guess the original author thinks we should seek that out. Of course we all know that you can't help who you love and while it would certainly be nice to be extremely wealthy, I know from experience growing up that those who aren't tend to have a lot more love in their lives.


No comments :

Post a Comment