Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wedding Wednesday: Stand Still

So, right now we're at that awkward moment in wedding planning when we really don't know what to do. Doesn't that happen to everybody?... Maybe not if you have a short engagement, but considering ours in 14 months, there are many vendors I don't want to book just yet. We're still talking to many people, a DJ for one (we were planning to use the DJ from Brad's sister's wedding and his cousin Adam's wedding earlier this year, but he decided to retire after this year [he's not even old, so I don't know what that's about]), I have a floral consultation later this week, and we just started our registry. I'm trying to space things out so that we aren't paying a bunch of money all at one time but it feels weird not planning anything!

Speaking of registries, we have a small registry (like less than 20 items) going at Pottery Barn and a larger registry started at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I'm including the links to our registries only because I really love to look at what other people register for. I hope that's not weird, but I love comparing their tastes to mine and it reminds me of things I might like to have but forgot about. I know I can't be the only person like that (hopefully). Since our wedding is so far away (Our one year mark is this Friday!), we haven't included bedding or bath items since those are likely to be discontinued before the wedding. We plan to go back to BB&B and to Target to register for these items next year. I took advice from Ashley at A Thousand Words when she told me to register for anything and everything we might like to have and I really feel like we did! I still felt bad registering for expensive items even though I know there are some people, mostly parents or grandparents, who I know will actually be interested in buying them for us. Our price points are pretty good though, with almost all of our items falling in the less than $100 range. I'd love to hear y'all's opinions on wedding registries. Especially if you've already gotten married or started getting gifts.

We have an engagement party coming up on October 12th and my mom and sister just sent out invitations on Friday. They made them themselves (since we didn't have time to order them) and they turned out pretty cute. Of course, they forgot to mention that our engagement party will be a BBQ and that our guests shouldn't eat dinner before coming. Oops! I told them just to mention that to guests when they RSVP so that they didn't have to redo all the invites. They went with invites in our wedding colors. I told my mom to address our invite to The Future Mr. & Mrs. Blalock because I love seeing it in print. I'm so lame. Our invitations are pictured below (Apparently our names wouldn't fit on the same line. This drives the OCD in me crazy, but I'm trying not to be a bridezilla...)



I'm hoping to go wedding dress shopping the last weekend in October. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but Brad's mom is a bridal consultant at David's Bridal and you better believe I'll be taking advantage of that friends and family discount if I can find THE dress there. I'm taking a pretty big group with me (at least in my opinion) and it's been trouble getting us all together. Not to mention I'd love to lose like 5 more pounds before going shopping (I'm only down 1 1/2 so far, wahh).

So far I'm not too stressed out. Although I did discover this last week that we are definitely going over our budget. Whoops... Talk about a sleepless night.

Chits and Giggles

4 comments :

  1. I totally can relate on the longer engagement, not planning everything at once ordeal. I'm trying to space things out, too, but it's so exciting to plan everything it's tough! I'm planning on going dress shopping the last weekend in October, too! so exciting! Are you making appointments places or just walkin in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having a LONG engagement too (22 months) and I am loving it so far. It has gone by so so quickly. And we will probably be registering at Pottery Barn and BBB too. I found dishes that I LOVE at PB and we are getting lots of other stuff at BBB. We might also register at Williams-Sonoma as well. I hope we can do that this weekend. I'm so ready to register!

    David's Bridal has a dress that is just like the dress I ended up getting, but the prices are the same. So, keep that in mind. I bought my dress (it's an Allure) at a smaller salon and it looks very similar to on at Davids. I have a feeling the customer service will be MUCH better at a smaller place than Davids and it isn't as hectic. Keep that in mind (unless the discount is that good).

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're having a long engagement, too (17 months!), but I love the extra time! While it's still stressful (I have to get out our save the dates and have been avoiding it haha!) it's pretty fun! We are registered at Williams-Sonoma and will register at Macy's and Pottery Barn. I can't wait to add to them, but like you I want to wait just in case things discontinue!

    Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we registered about 9 months before our wedding and about 6 months before our shower. It didn't feel like we were registering for that much, but honestly most things on our registry did wind up never bought. I did register for the most important items, and then added more after our shower, so depending on how many showers you have that could always be an option.

    ReplyDelete