Thursday, August 8, 2013

Glory, Glory Gamma Phi {Greek is Greek Linkup}

I've been seeing the cutest linkup floating around the blog world and after checking it out I knew I had to be a part. Many of the ladies hosting the link up were Gamma Phi Betas too and I just had to get in on that. Who doesn't enjoy reminiscing over their college days?
 
I joined Gamma Phi Beta as a sophomore at Kennesaw State University. You've probably never heard of KSU unless you're actually from Georgia. It's the 3rd largest college in GA, yes, bigger than GA Tech. However, we don't have football so that's probably why you don't know about us. Anyway, I decided to go through sorority recruitment after a terrible freshman year of college. I started school at Valdosta State University and only made it a semester at VSU before transferring back home, it just wasn't for me. During spring semester of my freshman year I was living at home at with my parents and taking early morning classes at Kennesaw. If you want to go to college and not make friends I recommend doing what I did - go to a school that is still primarily a commuter school and take 8 AM classes. The only people in class with me were my parents' age. I had drifted away from my high school friends and the only people I hung out with were my boyfriend's (now fiance's) baseball teammates. I needed some girls in my life.
 
At the start of sophomore year I decided I needed to do something that would help meet a lot of people right away. I chose to go through sorority recruitment, but let's be honest, I've wanted to be in a sorority since Elle Woods first graced my TV screen (not exactly what a sorority is like by the way). Going through recruitment was a wonderful decision and choosing to be a Gamma Phi Beta was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
 
I didn't have the typical Southern sorority experience. We didn't have a sorority house, I didn't get to dress up for football games, and we didn't have Kappa Alpha so I never got to go to Old South. But, my sorority presented so many wonderful opportunities for me and helped to shape me into who I am today. I would do it again in a heartbeat. All of my bridesmaids (assuming they say yes when I ask them) are my sorority sisters, including my real little sister who decided to become a Gamma Phi at KSU last fall (she's always doing everything I do). I hope you love looking at all my life pictures as much as I loved living it.
 

Enjoy!
 

One of the first night of recruitment. That's me on the left with my giant curly hair.
 
Halloween Mixer. That's me looking ridiculously tiny in my school girl outfit.
Not a huge fan of this picture, but let's all look back on how skinny and fit I was back then.
 
Jersey/Paddle Swap with my Big, Kaitlin.
 
My very first recruitment as a sister! God knows what time it was here, well after midnight.
 
 
Sisterhood Retreat 2010.
This is where I officially met my Little.
 
My Little Julie and I after Big/Little Reveal.
 
Crescent Classic/Chili Cook-Off. This is our philanthropy event every year.
 
Emma and I at Chili Cook-Off.
 
 Kayla, Katie, and I at a Baseball Game during Greek Week.
 
The 3 of us again before Formal.
 
My cute boyfriend (now fiance) and I before Formal 2011.
I really regret that this is the only formal I ever went to. Brad always had away games on Formal weekends.
Looking back now, I totally would've just brought a friend to the other 2 so I could go.
 
 My last formal recruitment, 2011.
Katie and I actually decorated for this night!
"Don't Get Stranded with the Rest, Set Sail with the Best"
 
My recruitment group 2011.
Somehow the shortest girls in the sorority got paired together.
 
 Last Collegiate Bid Day 2011
 
Getting my Sorority Graduation Stole at my last ever chapter meeting.
 
Danielle and I before graduation.
Another elementary teacher who hasn't found a job yet.
Lucky us... :)
 
Maybe my favorite sorority picture ever.
My sister and I on her Gamma Phi Bid Day 2012.
This still brings tears to my eyes.
 
I feel so proud to have been a Gamma Phi Beta and to have met all these fabulous ladies. I'm so thankful God gave me such awesome sisters/friends. "Wishing on stars is overrated, the Crescent Moon gave me everything I need." 
 

Carolina Fireflies

No comments :

Post a Comment