Monday, August 5, 2013

Moving On

I really considered not posting this today because I don't want to complain, but keeping in mind that the most avid reader of this blog is probably still me, I needed a place to say what I'm feeling.

If you read last week, I went on a job interview at The Goddard School. This is a school, mainly preschool, that services infants through Kindergarten with curriculum-based classes and infants through 5th Grade with after school programs. I had never seriously considered teaching preschool but when it seemed liked the public school system wasn't going to work out for me this year I decided to look into it.

This was honestly the best interview I've ever been on. The interview lasted over an hour, where most teaching interviews last maybe 30 minutes. The director and I never ran out of things to talk about. Talking about myself, my past teaching experience, my interest in The Goddard School, and about procedures and curriculum at the school. After the interview, which was Thursday, she practically offered me a job right on the spot. Saying that since I was one of the few teachers that would have a Bachelor's Degree, she was speaking to the owners that afternoon and would call me with a salary offer Friday morning. She invited me to call or e-mail her anytime, even on the weekend, because she constantly checks her e-mails.

Friday morning came and went without a call or e-mail from her. I actually tried calling twice and no one answered, not at the front office or in her office. I e-mailed her that afternoon and never heard anything back from her. No doubt I will try to call again today if I don't hear anything. She had said that all teachers being hired would know by today, but according to her, I should have heard first since my salary was negotiable. I know I still have today to hear something, so I can't give up just yet, but the whole situation seems so strange and so far from everything I was told that I can't help but wonder.

If I don't hear anything, I honestly can't figure out what went wrong. If anything I am over qualified to teach here. I want so badly to teach again. It's all I've ever wanted to do my whole life and on top of that I was a very good teacher. I scored higher on all my reviews than first year teachers are expected to and was offered a job for this upcoming school year had I been able to stay in North Carolina. I know that God has a plan for my life, but sometimes it's so hard to get on board with that plan, especially when it isn't working out like you want or anything like what you've worked so hard for.

If I don't hear anything today, then I have to go work for Marley Lilly. They've already waited almost a week to hear my final decision. I can't pass up a job opportunity right now. Even if it's not something I really want. I'm worried about what this will do to my resume, about when and if I'll get the opportunity to teach again, about money and benefits, etc., etc., etc. I know worrying won't fix anything and being anxious won't solve any problems, now I just have to work on actually feeling that way.

1 comment :

  1. I'm sorry you're going through this difficult time. I totally agree it's so so so tough to trust God's plan and not want to take the reigns yourself, but just know regardless of what happens, in the end it will all fall into place! I know that is the last thing you probably want to hear...but don't give up hope, even if the teaching thing doesn't work out right now you never know what door the other job will open in the future!

    ReplyDelete