Tuesday, August 6, 2013

TapSnap (A Kind of Review)

Alright, ladies. I know it isn't a Wednesday and this post is semi-wedding related, but that's okay. Last week I posted about going to the Georgia Bridal Show and trying out an alternative to a photo booth. A few people started asking for more details about this alternative, so I thought I would post a small review about the product.


Now, keep in mind that I've never actually seen one of these in the works at a wedding but I did get a pretty good explanation and trial at the bridal show. So here goes...

The photo booth alternative is called TapSnap. TapSnap is still a photo booth, there's just no booth. This product is completely open concept, meaning that when you take a picture, the picture isn't just capturing you, it's also capturing everything in the background. It's also completely interactive. Once your picture has been taken, you can use the menu to add text to your picture or to add props, stickers, etc. After you've finished touching up/altering your photo, both the original and altered photo are saved. You then have the option to e-mail this photo to yourself for keeping. The people who rent the photo booth will have digital access (via a Smug Mug online album) to all photos after the wedding or whatever other event you choose to use this at. An attendant from the company also stays during the wedding for assistance.

There are the details, here is my actual review:

PROS:
Everyone loves photo booths. Every wedding I've been to that has them always has a gigantic line and people have a blast.
Since this product is digital, you can add props to your photo and don't have to bring them with you for people to use.
This option is very cost effective. Packages start at $600 (Bronze Level), with the most expensive package being $800 (Gold Level).
CONS:
While you can add digital props, this is not a feature of the basic Bronze level package and costs additional money.
Unlimited prints do not come with photo booth. Most people use photo booths as guest book alternatives and TapSnap does not seem cost effective for this. We were told that you receive 25 prints free and the rest must be paid for. I'm not sure how much that costs.
I've found other actual Photo Booth companies where the booth is rented for 4 hours (as is TapSnap) and comes with unlimited prints for as little as $795.
CONCLUSION: I really enjoyed using the TapSnap product but for my wedding I believe we will be going with a traditional photo booth. Our venue (yes, we booked a venue! Info coming tomorrow) seems more suited for a traditional enclosed booth. At our venue, TapSnap would open right up to the dance floor and I feel like the lighting and all that's going on there would make for a very busy photo. Also, I know these are really popular, but I absolutely hate the idea of photo booth props. I don't care anything about looking at my guests with silly glasses and princess crowns on. I'd rather see their actual beautiful faces. (If you're into photo booth props that's awesome! It's just not for us.) The main reason I would like to have a photo booth is to use the prints (I'd like a booth that prints 2 copies of each photo strip) for our guest book. Since many photo booth rental companies include unlimited prints, a traditional photo booth just seems like a better value to me.
*I know this is an added expense that just doesn't seem to make sense since I'm planning on a budget. However, since I'm hoping to print my own invitations and make a lot of my decor, I'm really hoping to have money for this. In all the weddings that Brad and I have been to together, a photo booth is the one thing that we've both loved and wanted and I'd really like to be able to make a photo booth happen.
If you've ever had TapSnap at your wedding or event or at something you've been to, I'd love to hear what you thought about the product since you probably got to use it longer than me!

1 comment :

  1. Hey, I nominated you for a Liebster Award! I love your blog & am always excited to read your new posts! Check it out @ http://swallowsjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete